Looking after your Silver Jewellery - Regular loving care will make your GEORGIANA SCOTT favourites last longer.
There are some basic rules we like to share on how best to care for your jewellery. We only use 925 sterling silver.
Storing your Jewellery
- Do remove your hoops before going in the shower / bath or before going to sleep
- It is preferable not to wear jewellery items while working in the house or garden, or while swimming (in salt or chlorinated water) or during sports
- Fragrance and hairspray can diminish the sheen of our jewellery. We advise our customers to spray fragrance and hair sprays before putting on their hoops, the same for putting on make-up and body cream
- Silver jewellery should be kept in a dark, cool, dry place. The reason is that over time, sterling silver, naturally oxidises. Silver will eventually tarnish from the sulphur in the atmosphere. Fact: centuries ago silver retained its shine for longer because there was little or no pollution
- Storing silver jewellery in a sealed plastic bag or airtight box when it is not being worn will keep out the air that causes oxidation
- Our silver jewellery is rhodium plated to protect the metal from exposure, helping to prevent tarnishing
Cleaning your Jewellery
- To clean your silver jewellery, please only use specific dipping baths; never use ‘silver cutlery’ dipping baths and never use ‘gold jewellery’ dipping baths! Immerse the hoops for approximately 10 seconds and then rinse it thoroughly under hot water. Rub dry with a cloth or use a hairdryer
- Soap, creams and make-up residues can be removed using an ultrasound device. The ultrasound device should not contain aggressive cleaning agents. For the best results, use water and a neutral detergent.
- Oxidised hoops (black in colour) should not be cleaned using a silver dipping bath or polished with a silver cloth, as these may remove the blackening colour
If you are allergic to sterling silver or gold-plated earrings (some people get a rash or an itchy reaction), we suggest painting a little clear nail varnish directly onto the earring post and butterflies. Eventually, this will wear off, just re-apply it.